calm breeze

Sunday, June 16, 2013

UDL & Maker Activity #2

For my latest and greatest assignment in my graduate class CEP 811, I read about UDL (Universal Design for Learning). UDL is a research based educational framework that guides and promotes the development of flexible learning environments that meet and accommodate individual learning needs.  In UDL, there are multiple means of 1) representation, 2) expression, 3) engagement, all intended to increase student motivation and learning.  Part of my exploration of UDL included checking out this (FREE) UDL Tech Toolkit.  It was amazing to spend the two hours I spent looking at these resources...and I plan on going back to go through and try out each one at some point this summer!

I also went back to my Maker Activity #1.  After reflecting on my original lesson, I found a few tweaks that I could use to incorporate UDL and make this activity even better for all my learners in my classroom.  Here is my revised activity:

REVISED: The Maker’s Kit Activity #1: (revisions are in red)


Since the Montessori Method primary focuses on the learner’s choice and mastery of the task, I thought that this exploration activity would be a unique way to incorporate my littleBits Starter kit into my classroom.

Instructional Goals:
  • My instructional goals: 
    • Students will explore the littleBits kits and record their observations.
    • Students will create at least one working machine/circuit.
    • Students will demonstrate their acquired knowledge using technology.
Materials:

Methods:
  •  I will introduce the littleBits kit to the classroom and give a very brief explanation of the learning outcome of this activity: Students will be able to explore, create and demonstrate at least one working machine/circuit. 
  • Students sign up for time with the littleBits kit.  They will be given 15 minute appointments when they can explore and play with the kit components while taking notes and sketches of their findings.  Students will not be limited in the number of appointments for which they can sign up.  
  • Students will record their thinking and observations using a method of their choice: pencil/paper (aka Science Notebook), Popplet, bubbl.us, or the CAST Science Writer.  
  • Once students feel they have mastered at least one creation with notes and sketches, they will then write a post on the classroom Wikispace that summarizes their explorations and includes at least one picture of their creation.  
  • Each student will respond to two other blog posts with the intent to provide constructive feedback for their peers.
Assessment:

This activity follows the constructivist approach seen in the Montessori Method as students will build their knowledge of circuits and machines through their explorations of the littleBits kit.  Students have the choice of when and how often they can explore the kit.  The formative assessment of the blog post is done only when the student feels they have a mastery of the activity.  

Reflection

I was very happy that my original activity had a good foundation and already incorporated pieces of UDL.  For example, I varied the methods for response and navigation by allowing students to work at their own pace and choose/make their own appointment times to work with the materials.  I extended this UDL guideline to include alternatives for recording observations and thinking by including the three 'tools' from the UDL Tech Toolkit: Popplet; bubbl.us; CAST Science Writer.  This activity also already gave learners optimized individual choice and autonomy as well as provided mastery-oriented feedback - the blog post is only done when the learner feels he/she has mastered the concept and teacher/peer also provides mastery feedback.


References:

CAST (2011). Universal Design for Learning Guidelines version 2.0. Wakefield, MA: Author.

CAST.  UDL Guidelines- Educator Worksheet 2.0.  Retrieived from https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XoDbdf561xTP4Y_7v_BdEBqVSf07_yVxWuQ0y66IN0I/edit

Free Technology Tool Kit for UDL in All Classrooms. Retrieved from http://udltechtoolkit.wikispaces.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment