calm breeze

Monday, November 18, 2013

Texting for Social Engagement with Autism Spectrum Disorder

My graduate assignment this week had me 'choosing my own adventure' while I explored and researched a special need, disability, or learning challenge I was interested in learning more about.  I fumbled a bit at the beginning as I tried to make this assignment meaningful to myself as a educator.  I have several students with various 'undiagnosed' learning disabilities and needs, but nothing specific enough for my assignment.  Then I thought about some of the children I have encountered in my elementary over the past few years.  Even though they were not students of 'mine,' I still had daily interactions with these individuals and I wanted to understand them better and how I can communicate more effectively with them as a member of their learning community.  Both of these students have Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).

Autism is a group of developmental brain disorders, collectively referred to as autism spectrum disorder.  Due to the widely ranging symptoms, skills, and degrees of impairment, ASD is considered to be spectral:  some individuals with ASD are only mildly impaired by their symptoms, while others are severely disabled. With special education now being integrated into general education classrooms, it is becoming more important to teach social and communicative skills to ASD students to help support them with peer interactions.

Read more in-depth about Texting for Social Engagement with Autism Spectrum Disorder here.

I believe text messaging would be a wonderful way to teach high-functioning ASD children how to have an authentic conversation with a peer in a meaningful way.  Texting is already an integrated part of our lives today.  It makes some other social impairment symptoms (lacking eye contact, facial expressions, etc) non-issues for the ASD child, scaffolding his or her communications as they learn conversational practices.  Text messaging also allows for picture communication on most phones through emoji or photographs, which supports the Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) method that is currently very successful with ASD students.


Here is an example of a mother communicating with her autistic teenage son through text messaging. 


Vera Word reads a text message typed by her son Jonathon on his cell phone screen. The cell phone is a new tool for the two that has enabled Jonathon, who has autism, to communicate with his mother and his teachers through text messaging.

Jonathon Word’s fingers fly over his phone’s keyboard as he communicates via text-message. Because he can’t talk, this has proved to be the best, most portable way for his mother and teachers to penetrate his autistic world. The 15-year-old student is in the autism program at Harrell Accelerated Learning Center,


Work, A. (2009) Teen With Autism, Mom Communicate Via Texting. Times Record News.  Retrieved from http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/2009/dec/11/modern-miracle-n-teen-with-autism-mom-via-ann/

2 comments:

  1. It is amazing how we can re purpose technology tools to help students with different learning needs. I would have never thought to use a cell phone to help communicate with students who are diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder. It is neat to see how even students with different disabilities or disorders are still 21st century learners and can easily use technology to support their learning. It really shows the intelligence held by these students that just need direction or re purposing of tools or interventions to show the world how talented our students can be. It was exciting to read how quickly the student was able to text and how it became his tool for communication. Thank you for sharing this insightful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son will soon be tested to see if he is on the spectrum. I think technology like cell phones and iPads are utterly important for children with autism and other developmental delays. Max is a whiz with my phone. He has actually taught his preschool teacher many new things on the iPad. This technology has been a life saver because Max is non-verbal. I think text messaging would benefit students like Max is more way than one.

    ReplyDelete